To tell or not to tell.

Thursday, May 24 2012

I only spent time with her for an hour or so. (But that was definitely the best an hour or so!) We had Statistics paper in the morning. (Don't ask me about it. I thought it was all fine till I realised those silly mistakes I made :/) I stayed back in school with Cherrie but she left straightly after lunch. Did Chemistry on my own but got stuck at several questions. Gotta make a critical decision — to call or not to call.

Around two, I called her.

She was busy with something and promised to call me back. She did. And so, we met at the library.

She was at the usual table with her Macbook and pretty smile on her face as soon as she saw me. She looked different today. She wore a suit with a pink blouse. The typical doctorate type. I just love her style. She always pulls it off nicely :)

Casually started a conversation, wondering what they're having at the IT department level. (She always said I kepoh banyak tho I was just curious like seriously! lol) Apparently, there was an event on something something which I forgot what it was about. Pretty surprised when she said students were not allowed in and she wondered how I could get through.

She offered (more to memerli, I suppose. That teacher agh) to take some leftover for me. Ha ha Funny. I already had my lunch, dear teacher. Trust me, the chicken was superb! I was in awe. Ha ha

Back to my real intention I went up to see her. (Tho honestly, I went to meet her for no apparent reason. I just wanted to spend some time with her idk) Asked her some questions on disproportionation and NMR. She explained to me nicely till at some point, I felt very stupid for asking such questions.

Frankly, I'm still not used to the way she taught me. It's totally different than her teaching style in class. She was so patient, teaching me in a very soft way that sometimes I questioned myself, is this really the Mrs W that I used to know? Others would be so jealous of me if they knew about this. I was touched.

Once she said to me that there's someone else who was worse than me. I got stunt and it made me think, "If there's someone who's far worse than I am, why did she care more about me? What made her to have one-to-one session with me when there's someone who needed her attention more than I do?" It got me. She cares about you, Sumaiyah. She cares.

She told me not to have my spirit down because of Application. What's more important was the core topics. "Is your core ready? Are you confident with your core?" I shook my head. I was never ready with anything. She started listing down things I should know. From electrochemistry to equilibria to reaction kinetics to transition elements to every single atom in Chemistry. I sighed, a heavy sigh. I literally tried to catch my breath. Man, that's a tonne of things to be revised and I have not done any! I kept sighing. I tried to complain and as usual, she knew how to get back at me. "Whoa You think there's only one Sumaiyah who's facing difficulty in A-Levels? You think there's only you who wants to go to university and not struggling? Blablabla....." I laughed. That was pretty harsh but at least, some burden were shaken off as I laughed. It's always funny when she does that. I never find it annoying. Psh Thanks, teacher :)

Suddenly, she mentioned Tun Dr Mahathir. I was like, "Why she suddenly mentioned a very random name!" Yes, she did that a lot. Changing the topic without telling me what topic it's about! Lol Apparently, she's reading an article on TheStar website, 'Dr Mahathir named nation's reading icon'. We had a pretty good talk on that. Then, one conversation lead to another. Dr S. Muszaphar's name slipped from her lips. (The way she pronounced his name was funny! lol) Ah, if you actually read the article, it says that Dr SMS was the first Malaysian icon, the inspiration icon. And omg, guess what she said about him!

"Dr Sheikh Muszaphar is so handsome!"

I died. A Chemistry teacher just made a confession to her student. "Teacher, you're married." I reminded her. Lol That was hilarious! I believe I kind of shouted. I never thought she'd make such statement. Never. But it didn't just stop there. If I'm not mistaken, she went Google-ing about him. "Oh Wow. He's an orthopedic surgeon and a part time model. Huh?! A part time model? Ha ha!" Yes, she laughed. She definitely laughed at it. She couldn't believe he's a part time model! Her reaction was priceless and oh so funny! (rofl)

She's actually not so pro towards what he's done. I mean, everyone knows he's Malaysian first astronaut, right? Yes. But her thought was that it's actually nothing. Her view was that going to ISS meant nothing. "He didn't go to moon, did he?" she asked. I died for the second time. "You kidding me, teacher!" Somehow, she agreed with my statement that the fact that the government spent billions of ringgit to send a man to ISS was pointless. They could just use the money to improve the education in our country. (I remember we did discuss something about Malaysian education, the Maths and Science in Malay issue and how she would like it to be improved.)

Haha! Oh no, I just remembered something! You know after we had this chat on Dr SMS, how he's so handsome and blablabla (Seriously, teacher. Do you think he's that handsome? -.-), she suddenly mentioned about Chow Yun Fat! "Do you know Chow Yun Fat? I don't get it why the girls would scream when they see some handsome actors." Oh my God, I literally rolled on the chair laughing! Mrs W mentioned a Hong Kong actor. Supernatural stuff going on there! I had a big laugh. Thank God nobody else was in the library except the librarians. Gawrsh, I really laughed my heart out. The gesture she made as she was telling me was so funny and cute! Oh teacher, what's wrong with you! :P

Again, it didn't just stop there. Still in the entertainment story. (lol) Out of no where, she suddenly mentioned Andy Lau! Wait, how many times have I died? Yes, I regenerated and died again! :)) Apparently, he married a Malaysian (Yes, I knew about that) and they had a secret ceremony somewhere (which I forgot) and please don't ask me why the name suddenly came out from her mouth. I totally have no idea! She randomly mentioned a name that came across her mind. Oh Tuhan, something is really wrong with her!

Then, somehow, I remembered about the 'Nuriibrahim'.

"Teacher, I know who Nuriibrahim is already! Remember when I told you the other day?"
"Ya....."
"I was right! She's really a CILC student's parent!"
"How did you know that?"
"I stalked her Facebook"
"Wow You're so free. You didn't have to study is it?"
"-.-"

You know the night before, I tweeted this,




Haha Dude, I'm a psychic! :B

"So, have you followed me on Twitter? I'm gonna active it soon."
"............" (speak posh) (try to change topic) (haha)

No way I was gonna fall into your trap, teacher! Nevaaaaaa :P

After a few good laughs, she suddenly went like,

"Why am I chatting with you! You should be studying!"

God. Teacher, did you just realise that after 15 minutes of nonsense chat? Aw Why are you so adorable! I immediately remembered about Cherrie's wasiat before she left for home, "Don't end up talking to Mrs W!" Well, too bad. We already did. Mrs W couldn't resist to talk to me. Haha I wonder if I'm actually a good partner to have random chats with. I don't know. But she seemed to enjoy talking to me! lol

I tried to deviate her attention and remembered about the little gift I wanted to give to her. "Teacher, I brought kurma for you!" Perfect timing! Oh You are a genius, Sumaiyah! :D

"Oh really?"

A broad smile appeared on her face. She was surprised and overwhelmed.

"These small kurma are different....."
"Oh This is the one I like!" (Quickly take one and eat)
"........... That's Prophet Muhammad's favourite date"

She ate it in front of me before I could even finish my sentence. Seriously, teacher. Grow up! Lol I am just kidding :) And oh, it's true! She likes kurma ajwa! And I was like, "Ughh Teacher, you only like expensive kurma. No wonder lah!" (Kurma ajwa is more expensive than other usual kurma 'cause it's special! Hee) And we spent another 10 minutes fighting against some uninvited insects (like the ones in beras!) in the tupperware. I didn't know where they came for! I didn't realise they were there when I checked it at home. Thank God she's cool with it. I thought she would give me this why-you-give-me-some-rotten-dates look. No, the dates are still okay. I really didn't know what those tiny things really are!

But she still took them home. Thank God she likes the dates. And oh, I only gave five of kurma nabi (because I still need to eat it for exams) and she was like,

"Only these?"
"Aiya I still have to eat for exams lah. I'll give to you when I'm done with exams okay."
"Okay"
"Omg Mrs Wong tak malu"
"Orang kata rezeki jangan ditolak"
"Hahahaha"

See, she does know how to get back at me. Ugh

Will someone be a sweetheart and remind me to give to her all the dates that I have on Wednesday?
I promised her. And as a good muslim, I must keep my promise! :)

There's one thing left in my mind that kept bothering me. There's one thing that I always wanted to ask her but I didn't dare to (and I kept forgetting to). Cherrie was also curious about it. So, I thought, now that I'm pretty close to her, could I use it as a token for me to ask her? I gathered my guts and...

"Teacher, can I ask you something?" (Put my puppy face on haha)
"Yeah, what?"
"Hmmmmmmm You remember when you didn't come to school for few weeks? May I know why?"
"Aiyaaa why you so kepoh..."
"No, I'm not! I just care about you."
"It's been a few months already. Why do you want to know..."
"Because I'm your student." (Puppy face still on haha)
"Why you so kepoh, you're supposed to focus on your studies blablablabla..."

After a brief silent moment,

"Do you really want to know?"
"Yes!" (Look straight at her)
"(Sit back) I actually was pregnant and got miscarriage."
".............."

That moment, I just went blank. I never thought she'd actually tell me and I never thought that's really the reason behind her absence. I once thought of it as one of the possible factors but I never thought I was good at guessing. I got speechless. 

"You should have told me. I could bring you cards."
"What for. Later you all will go spread it on Facebook haha"

I tried to laugh but I couldn't.

I felt terrible for bringing this matter up.

Unconsciously, I patted her arm.

"What are you doing?"
"I'm trying to comfort you, teacher."
"I should be comforting you! You're gonna have Chemistry tomorrow!"
"Ugh Why do you have to remind me..."

At the end, I laughed. For a moment, I thought, "If she could appear strong after all those things that happened, why do I have to appear sorrow? I am the one who should comfort her, not the opposite."

She was strong. She's an inspiration. She handled it brilliantly.
I am so proud of you.

"It's okay. I'm already planning for the second one!"

Good for you, teacher. Just so you know, I'll always be here for you :)

As to not drag this matter further, I continued revising the past year questions.

Then, it's already 3.40 pm.

We started packing our stuffs. We're ready to leave when she suddenly stood up,

"Can you see my white hair? Is it a lot?"

I went blur for a moment. Did she really ask me about her hair?

"Teacher, why are you asking me such thing!"

She just laughed.

"I'm thinking of coloring my hair."
"Nooooooo. You look nicer with black hair."

The conversation kept going on till we got into the lift. Apparently, she used to dye her hair to brown after she got married. At first, I thought she dyed it to blonde! "You dyed your hair to blonde?!!!" Yes, I almost shouted. I mean, can you imagine Mrs W with blonde hair? No way! Ha ha ha ha

Got into the lift and suddenly it stopped at the second floor and... Oh no, it's Dr B!

"Good morning"

Omg Mrs W is a major troll! Hahahahahaha Ugh I tried so hard not to laugh! But gawrsh, that's so funny! Hahahahaha Okay, okay. I am sorry. I did laugh but not so obvious. I still respect her as a teacher. Plus, Dr B was there. If that was Ms E or Mr C or Ms Steph, I'd surely laugh my ass off! Wooooops Just kidding, teacher :D

Then, there's a tiny conversation between the teachers. And man, I think she tried to get back at me. (I don't know why but oh this teacher really loves to kenakan me!)

"This student came to see me because she's so stressed up."
"She came to ask me about nuclear magnetic blablablabla"

Teacherrrrrrrrrrr! How could you do it to me! I didn't laugh at you pun! I mean... I did. But I did try my best not to :/

When she's done talking to him, I mouthed "I hate you, teacherrrrrr" at her. And I don't think she got what I said. (sigh)

She sent me home. And I salam her again.

That is all.


P/s: Please cry if you ever read this, Mrs Wong. LOL



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------




I told Cherrie about Mrs W. She was surprised too. I told her how I guilty I was for bringing the matter up again after a few months. If only I knew...




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------




"My Chemistry teacher likes it! (kurma ajwa)"
"yakah semoga terbuka hatinya"

I was shocked. Mom can say pretty random things at pretty inappropriate times! Seriously, I was shocked. Never thought she would give such reply. But at the same time, I couldn't praise Allah enough for guiding my mother to say things like that and it made me realise oh, how lucky I am to have her as my mother! Alhamdulillah :)




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------




I love my Chemistry teacher so much. No doubt.

The reason I wrote this down because I want to have something for me to look back at and convince myself, 

"Sumaiyah, your A-Levels life was not a waste. You had such an amazing journey in those two years. You were blessed with fantastic teachers and there's one particular teacher who cared about you the most and you know, you cared about her too. She was there for you during your hard times. Remember when she called you on Tuesday morning and asked you to come to school because she was not satisfied with your results in the mock test? She did it because of you. Nine hours of Chemistry, personal tutorial. And she did it just because of  you. She didn't want you to slip away. She didn't want you to be far way behind the others. She did it just because of you. She did it for you. Remember when you nagged her the following days? You sent her texts asking if she could coach you and her replies were always "Ok"? Never once she said "Sorry, I can't make it today"? None. She always made her time just for you. Whether she had discussions, meetings or anything on that day, she would try to make herself available just for you. 

Remember those random, funny, unnecessary, nothing related to Chemistry chits and chats you had with her? Remember those good laughs you had with her? Remember when she shared her personal stories with you? Remember when you can freely whine at her about how you missed home, how you missed your mother? Remember the times when there were just you and your teacher, creating memories together? Do you still remember?

She is the most wonderful teacher you ever had. Don't you forget."

No comments: